Medical Center Southern Campus (MMCSC), an RWJBarnabas Health facility serving parts of northern Ocean County and southern Monmouth County. MMCSC has made a positive impact on the community, earning top patient satisfaction scores while enhancing services and programs to improve the access to quality care for Monmouth and Ocean county residents.
Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus has made remarkable strides towards enhancing healthcare and improving the health and wellness of our community members Our latest ‘A’ Rating in Safety from the Leapfrog Group, affirms our journey toward high reliability. It is a philosophy of RWJBarnabas Health and a commitment here, to have zero incidents of preventable harm for our patients, families, visitors and each other.
The implementation of several projects and initiatives has allowed us to further our vision of helping our communities achieve optimal health and wellness. From quality and efficiency to new revolutionary technology, the accomplishments are many, but listed are just a few:
- Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus is the first hospital in the region to offer HeartFlow® Fractional Flow Reserve Computed Tomography (FFR-CT), an advanced, noninvasive technology that enables physicians to determine whether a patient has heart disease. FFR-CT is very low risk and provides accurate information about conditions of the arteries. This new technology is beneficial for patients who may have heart disease and are experiencing symptoms of chest pain and shortness of breath.
- New Robot-Controlled Waterjet Treatment for patients suffering from enlarged prostate symptoms: There is new hope for men who suffer from lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) as a result of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), which is a non-cancerous enlargement of the prostate. The new treatment, called Aquablation® therapy, is performed using a robot-controlled waterjet to remove the enlarged prostate tissue. It is the only FDA-cleared minimally invasive treatment for BPH that combines real-time, multi-dimensional imaging with surgical robotics and a heat-free waterjet for targeted, precise and safe removal of prostate tissue, with a reduced risk of sexual side effects.
- Jacqueline M. Wilentz Comprehensive Breast Center: the latest in screening and diagnostic imaging technologies, including, digital mammography, tomosynthesis, utilizing advanced 3D breast imaging, ultrasound, breast MRI, bone density testing, genetic counseling and breast surgery consultations and stereotactic breast biopsy.
- The James and Sharon Maida Geriatrics Institute: offers integrated inpatient and outpatient geriatric services, as well as consultative services and primary care for patients 65 and older in one convenient location. In addition, the Institute’s geriatricians have a full understanding of the wide range of physical, mental, medical, social, and spiritual issues that older adults can face. With the expert treatment available at the state-of-the-art geriatrics outpatient practice, older adults can live the fullest life possible. The institute also provides a Geriatric Emergency Medicine (GEM) Unit for a separate, specialized healing environment in the Emergency Department for geriatric patients, an Acute Care for Elders (ACE) Unit with non-skid floors, bedside recliners, single room and private bathrooms for patients over 65, and the free Better Health Senior Membership Program offering social programs, health education, preventative screenings and health and wellness events for individuals over the age of 55.
- Oncology Services: Treating cancer is a challenge, met by a team who exceeds that challenge with patient satisfaction scores in the 99th percentile in the Outpatient Infusion Unit, where every patient is treated with dignity and respect. The compassionate and skilled nursing team provides infusion services in private treatment rooms and a certified nurse navigator to lead patients on the road to wellness. MMCSC also introduced the Cancer Support Community and Oncology Rehabilitation. Both services are available to those affected by any stage of cancer in Monmouth and Ocean Counties and helps patients to cope with and recover from their diagnosis.
- Vascular Institute: The Vascular Institute at Monmouth South was opened in August 2017, providing patients with comprehensive, state-of-the-art, non-invasive diagnostic testing as well as minimally invasive, percutaneous diagnostic and interventional vascular treatments for a vast scope of vascular conditions.
- First Bluetooth Enabled MRI Compatible Pacemaker in Ocean County: MMCSC successfully implanted the first Bluetooth-enabled pacemaker in Ocean County and one of the first within the RWJBarnabas Health system. The MRI-compatible pacemaker with secure, encrypted wireless technology allows patients to remotely monitor their heart rhythms at all times by using their smartphone and alerts their physician should any abnormalities arise.
- Teleneurology: MMCSC enhanced its neurology offerings this past year by adding teleneurology services, providing patients with remote neurological consultations from one of 25 neurologists within the RWJBarnabas Health System. These highly qualified neurologists are available 24/7 to remotely examine patients who come through the emergency room with any type of neurological emergency, including stroke.
In addition to these enhancements and growing patient satisfaction scores, MMCSC has achieved outstanding recognition from prestigious organizations:
- Best of the Best in Ocean County, from the Asbury Park Press – Reader’s Choice Award
- Our 6th “A” Hospital Safety Score by The LeapFrog Group, the nation’s leading experts on patient safety
- “Most Wired” hospital by the American Hospital Association’s Health Forum and the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME)
- Platinum Level Recognition from the Sharing Network for promoting organ, eye and tissue donation
- Continued journey toward Magnet and Joint Commission designations
“Addressing the needs of our patients is our number one priority at MMCSC, and the RWJBarnabas Health system as a whole. Our continued growth in five years is testament to our mission to enhance the quality and delivery of care for our patients. We will always keep their needs in mind so that we may continue to make a positive impact on the communities we serve,” said Vozos.
For more information about Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus, please visit www.rwjbh.org/monmouthsouth.